The popularity of townhouses is rising quickly, with recent figures showing that approvals for new townhouses are at record levels in Australia.
In the 80s and 90s townhouses were seen as being very basic. They were a cheaper way to break into the property market, and were typically seen as a stepping stone before people could afford to buy a bigger, more luxurious home.
Things have changed drastically since those times, and townhouses have come a long way.
The following are just a few of the reasons why townhouses have become the first pick for lots of new home buyers:
● Comparable backyards is a big reason that townhouses are holding their own in the property market. With the average size of blocks of land decreasing, ultimately resulting in smaller yards, single level homes are now ending up with yards not much bigger than those found in townhouses. Townhouses provide a great alternative to a single level home and have much more indoor and outdoor space than an apartment. For those who want a lock up and leave lifestyle, townhouses offer the ideal solution.
● Location is always a big consideration when deciding where your new home will be built. Townhouses are typically better positioned in new estates and communities, with councils and developers tending to put them near parks or on waterfronts. This gives the whole suburb a more aesthetically pleasing look, which is a win for everyone. They also tend to be close to cafe strips, retail areas and transport.
● There has always been a common misconception that townhouses don’t provide enough indoor/outdoor living space. This might have been true when they were first being built, but with the clever designs of townhouses today, it is certainly no longer the case. They are more than suitable for young professionals, small families, empty nesters, retirees and investors.
● The cleaning and maintenance of a property is probably one of the main downsides to owning your own home. The obvious benefits of living in a townhouse are hard to ignore- they offer the luxuries of living in a much larger home but with less maintenance required. Most people are steering away from huge yards, preferring instead to have a smaller area that still allows for entertaining. If you don’t enjoy spending your weekends weeding the garden, then townhouse living is a great option for you.
● Affordability is a big drawcard with townhouses. When compared to a single level home with the same amount of bedrooms/bathrooms, townhouses really do offer value for money. They are also perfect for those that are wanting to build a 2 storey house, without the huge price tag that is usually associated with them.
Townhouses are no longer just marketed at entry level buyers. They now offer the design standards found in the luxury end of the housing market, including premium fittings and fixtures. At Urban Mews our townhouse designs are not only luxurious and spacious, but are finished to the highest standard while still being outstanding value for money.